- Read the criteria carefully to ensure your entry is in the correct category.
- Each category has different criteria so while your campaign can fit into multiple categories, do tailor your entry for every category you enter.
- Be sure to answer all parts of the criteria and highlight the right information in each section. Each section is scored so if the detail isn’t there against that specific criteria, it makes it harder to give the section a good score, which then affects the overall score.
- Clarity is key, alongside relevant examples and evidence; ‘fluffy’ answers with no tangible evidence are not helpful.
- Attention to detail needs to be displayed in terms of spelling, grammar, readability, understanding of the criteria and presentation of results.
- Proofreading your entry is key – ask a colleague to proofread it for you with a fresh pair of eyes.
- Make sure your supporting document does just that – supports. Your entry should not rely on information within your supporting document as this is not scored by the judges.
EXCELLENCE CASE STUDY EVENTS 2022
- Use SMART objectives.
- No campaign costs ‘nothing’. At the least, you need to provide an indication of staff hours/time.
- Be very clear about the research undertaken that underpinned your strategy and, within it, identify the ‘killer insights’ that shaped your planning.
- Highlight innovative tactics in your delivery phase – why did your campaign stand out?
- Include as much detail as possible within the word limit, especially around campaign impact.
- Focus on outcomes as well as outputs – judges want to hear about how you changed behaviour/attitude/achieved action/moved product through PR. Strong material outcomes are essential.
- Demonstrate the success of your results against targets. By including benchmarking against KPIs, you help judges understand if your results were a success or not.
- Avoid retrofitting – judges are on the lookout for such tactics to separate the truly well planned and executed from the rest.
- Do not solely rely on % increases to show your results – use real time numbers.
- Do not use AVE – you will score a zero for measurement!
Discover how to make your entry a winner! Join our series of case study events where a selection of Excellence 2021 winners will speak about their entry and share their best practice.