We have produced the below member-only guidance in consultation with NLA Media Access and the Copyright Licencing Agency (CLA).

Recommended media/newspaper licencing arrangements - updated September 2018

Please review the below which is a guide to a common licencing arrangement for the majority of in-house teams and consultancies:

NLA Media Access - covering the majority of national, regional and specialist newspapers (excluding the Financial Times)

Recommended licencing arrangements:

Update on NLA vs. PRCA/Meltwater Group ruling - June 2014

On 5 June 2014, the Court of Justice of the EU affirmed the legal position that internet users have the right to browse news sites without the threat of infringing copyright law. The PRCA and Meltwater had argued this in their long-standing case against NLA Media Access.

Do I need a licence to forward links from newspaper websites to clients and colleagues?

No, you don't need an NLA licence unless publisher terms and conditions state otherwise.

Do I need a licence to access online newspaper content provided to me by media monitoring agencies?

Yes. You will need a Web End User Licence from the NLA. This is subject to your media monitoring agency supplying this content via an email alert (a paid for service).

General information

Further information

If you have any questions, please contact CIPR Senior Policy Officer, Jon Gerlis jong@cipr.co.uk