1. This Privacy Notice relates to the collection of your personal data for the purpose of the CIPR’s role as a qualifications Awarding Body. By sharing your personal data with us, you can access information that will support you and your career development as a public relations practitioner.
Who we are
2. The Chartered Institute of Public Relations (‘CIPR’) advances professionalism in public relations by making its members accountable to their employers and the public through a code of conduct and searchable public register, setting standards through training, qualifications, awards and the production of best practice and skills guidance, facilitating Continuing Professional Development (CPD), and awarding Chartered Public Relations Practitioner status (Chart.PR).
What are the legal grounds for processing your personal data?
3. The CIPR Awarding Body collects, stores and processes your personal data for the purposes of fulfilling the contract we have with you as a CIPR qualifications candidate.
4. We also have a legitimate interest in retaining a minimum of information relating to your qualification, after you have graduated.
What personal data do we collect to support your CIPR qualification?
5. The personal data we require from candidates submitting assessments is name, date of birth, home address, and email address. This allows us to identify you as a candidate, send you your digital student handbook, your results and your final certificate.
6. If there are any special circumstances which may affect your ability to submit your assessment, your teaching centre may make us aware of them, and we may make a note of these in our database.
How will we use your personal data?
7. Your personal data is sent to us via Dropbox by your Accredited Teaching Centre on spreadsheets. We retain these spreadsheets until the conclusion of the course on which you are enrolled (up to two years). This allows us to run any necessary crosschecks to prevent a mistake being made on our database. The spreadsheets are removed from Dropbox as soon as they are copied onto the CIPR’s servers.
8. We copy your personal data from this spreadsheet to our database. We add to it details of the assessments you take and the results you achieve, and the final result of your qualification.
9. If you decide to come to the CIPR graduation ceremony, we will ask you to book on Eventbrite. We will use any personal details you provide on that platform only for the purpose of organising the graduation event.
Sharing your personal data
10. As part of our contract with you as a candidate, we will publish your name along with the names of other candidates who have successfully earned a CIPR qualification as part of a congratulatory message in third party publications. This will require us to share your name with the publishers and their agents. If you do not wish to have your name included in these messages, please advise the CIPR directly at email@example.com.
11. Your personal details are not shared with our examiners or with any other third party, except for our printers (currently Fox Print) who receive your name and details of the qualification you have earned so they can be printed on your certificate.
12. Names and details of any access requirements of those attending the Graduation Ceremony will be shared with the event venue, and details of any dietary needs will be shared with the caterers. The venue and caterers have given us declarations that they will destroy your personal data as soon as this event is over. It is not possible for the CIPR to delete your personal data from Eventbrite.
Managing your communication preferences
13. There is an opt-in choice to receive marketing information from the CIPR about other CIPR products and services. This is not part of your contract as a qualificationsw candidate. If you opt-in, you can opt-out again at any time you like.
After you complete your qualification
14. After we have issued you with the certificate for your CIPR qualification, our contract with you as a learner is fulfilled. We will destroy any personal data we hold about you, except for the following: name, date of birth, final qualification grade and date of qualifying. These will be held on our database.
15. We retain these details for a legitimate business interest. This is to protect the integrity of the qualifications we issue against fraud. If we are contacted by an employer, a public official or another legitimately interested party in the future, we need to be able to verify whether the certificate that has been presented to them is genuine or not.
16. After your certificate has been issued, your personal data will not be used for any other purpose, or shared with any third party.
To discuss any concerns about your personal data with the CIPR qualifications and Awarding Body, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org